Rams dealt with their first big cut day earlier in the week releasing 15 players. As we later found out on Hard Knocks it was Rock Gullickson who delivered the line no player wants to hear, “Come with me; coach wants to see you.”
Here is the list of players who were let go:
- Kicker – Taylor Bertolet (Texas A&M)
- Tight End – Benson Browne (NC State)
- Defensive Back – Michael Caputo (Wisconsin)
- Defensive Tackle – Zach Colvin (Bowling Green)
- Offensive Lineman – Brian Folkerts (Washburn)
- Linebacker – Darreon Herring (Vanderbilt)
- Fullback – Zach Laskey (Georgia Tech)
- Safety – Jordan Lomax (Iowa)
- Wide Receiver – Marquez North (Tennessee)
- Long Snapper – Jeff Overbaugh (SD State)
- Wide Receiver – David Richards (Arizona)
- Tight End – Jake Stoneburner (Ohio State)
- Offensive Lineman – Jordan Swindle (Kentucky)
- Quarterback – Dylan Thompson (South Carolina)
The team also announced that tackle Rob Havenstein was taken off the physically unable to perform (PUP) list and that Defensive Lineman Quinton Coples contract was terminated, “so he had time to join another team” as Jeff Fisher put it.
No real surprises from the first wave of cuts but with the final roster due by Saturday 4pm EST we expect to see some interesting moves from now till then. A few guys on the bubble:
Ian Seau– He has had an overall good camp but the depth the Rams have at the DL might make it tough for him to find a spot.
Aaron Green– Just Like Seau, Green is fighting for a spot at one of the Rams strong suites. Besides the obvious 1st string Gurley, Benny Cunningham and Malcolm Brown have had an amazing train camp and pre-season. Green might be a great candidate for the practice squad but that would mean he would have to clear waivers which I don’t see happening.
Eric Kush– Another fan favorite from Hard Knocks might be a long shot to make the team. He has had a great camp and built some repore with rookie Jared Goff. Will be interesting to see how many O-linemen the team will carry.
Duke William/ Austin Hill/ Paul McRoberts/ Brian Quick– This is by far the most interesting completion that remains on the team. After the main 3 WR (Austin, Britt, and Cooper) the rest is wide open. This finally preseason game may be the make or break moment for one or more of these guys.
Stay tuned to Rams Podcast as we will review the final roster and share our option on who we think deserved to make the team.